Some key themes for effective health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) communications emerged at a recent 2-day HEOR and market access workshop focused on improving communication skills for HEOR executives, medical writers, and editors. The following were distilled from the conference presentations:
- Begin with the end in mind – clearly understand client objectives through initial assessment and develop a map within the context of the disease area and marketplace, ie, take the time to identify stakeholders in target audiences, plan how and when they should be engaged, and assess if they were engaged according to plan
- Educate, internally and externally – inform the reviewer and user of health research information about the rationale behind the value story and its fit into the overall product story, eg, provide a sense of what you are trying to accomplish when sending letters to gauge interest or submission letters to journals
- Use tools to track and evaluate – guidelines for assessing and reporting health research can increase the probability of effective reporting and publication. Guidelines are readily available at http://www.equator-network.org/
- Moving too fast can result in lost opportunity—from a medical communications perspective, many clients develop communication strategies and platforms, but in the rush of prelaunch it is easy to move quickly toward tactical execution to grow the platform. Value story communications may be second in line or developed in parallel and not fully integrated into the overall communications strategy.
- Integrate HEOR—integrating HEOR company stakeholders and value communications, as you initiate development of communication plans, is essential to develop the full story around the product and increase access to effective new, and even not so new, therapies for patients.
As we move toward value-based healthcare, it is increasingly important to effectively communicate about burden, cost, and outcomes to healthcare decision-makers involved in determining patient access to therapies – including payers, healthcare provider organizations, and patients.
Nicholas C. Stilwell, VP of Connexion Healthcare’s Neuroscience Center of Excellence, attended the HEOR and Market Access Writing Workshop in Philadelphia, PA, sponsored by HealthEconomics.com and Global Health Outcomes.
To continue the discussion or for more information on medical communications for neuroscience, contact Nicholas C. Stilwell at 215-944-9404; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connexion Healthcare is a full-service global provider of strategic medical and scientific communications with decades of experience providing exceptional service to the pharmaceutical industry. We provide services through 3 Centers of Excellence—Oncology, Neuroscience, and Rare Disease—and possess core expertise in these therapeutic areas and their marketplaces. We synthesize scientifically complex information and distill it into focused and highly compelling programs. In addition, we develop communication platforms that effectively influence clinical behavior and drive strategic initiatives forward. Our esteemed medical directors and content development team along with an accounts team rooted in science and best practices are poised and ready to support brands anytime from phase 2 development on.
For more information on how Connexion Healthcare can assist you, please contact:
Susan Stein, MPH